Businesses in today’s highly competitive marketplace provide unique services, increase customer loyalty, and improve productivity with the automation of key business processes.
At the core of business process automation, Enterprise Resource Planning, ERP systems, are designed to eliminate manual processes and connect disparate business systems providing a centralized location for improved business visibility and data driven decisions.
Traditionally most ERP systems were sold as on-premise package, usually installed on client workstations and supported by internal servers that store data from these systems. These systems which are heavily dependent on IT infrastructure maintenance, do not always create the flexibility needed for growing businesses who need to be able to connect to business systems, in real-time – anywhere, anytime. The advent of cloud ERP systems have provided, particularly to SMB companies, a flexible, cost-effective alternative to traditional on-premise ERP systems.
What is Cloud ERP?
Cloud ERP is as all Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems that utilize cloud computing as the form of software service delivery. In essence, a cloud ERP system could refer to both a cloud based ERP system delivered in the Software as a Service (SaaS) model, or it could refer to hosting a traditional on-premise ERP in a cloud environment, such as, virtual private cloud, private cloud or public cloud environment.
Why Cloud ERP?
Cloud ERP systems offer many benefits, including, automatic updates (in cloud-based ERP systems), lower upfront costs, less in-house IT maintenance, workforce mobility among others. Essentially, your cloud ERP systems could be the key to creating a unified and flexible business system with easy access to data from all areas of your business including, customer relationship management, sales, accounting, procurement, distribution, and human resources.
Cloud ERP Benefits
- Easier-To-Update. Cloud-based ERP (SaaS) systems are easily are scalable. Unlike traditional ERP systems where you may need to perform manual upgrades yourself every time a new version of software is available, with cloud based ERP systems you are able to update your systems almost as instantaneously as the ERP cloud software vendor can make it available. And in some cases, some software updates are automatic and happen behind the scenes. Additionally, for cloud-based ERP systems, it is usually inexpensive to upgrade existing systems because upgrades are usually bundled together with the price of the software. When hosting an on-premise solution in with an ERP cloud-hosting vendor, such as CompuData, we take care of all of your infrastructure software upgrades as well.
- Lower Upfront costs. A key benefit of cloud based ERP especially for small to midsize businesses, is the ability to quickly purchase and have an ERP system up-and-running without having to put down the cash needed to purchase the software solution right away. In most cases, cloud based ERP systems are sold in a subscription-pricing model, where bills can be paid on a monthly or yearly basis. In the case of an on-premise ERP systems hosted in a cloud environment such as, CompuData’s virtual private cloud, you are able to eliminate the costs of server maintenance and internal purchase of disk space.
- Anytime Anywhere Access. Unlike on-premise ERP systems, cloud ERP systems give growing small to midsize businesses the ability to improve workforce mobility and increase productivity, even when employees are on the go. This is one of the main selling points for any cloud ERP system or migration. The need to for employees to easily connect with business data and systems is becoming ever so prevalent for businesses since employees are no longer tethered to their place of business all the time. For businesses with multiple offices, cloud ERP offers the flexibility needed to ensure streamlined communication and connectivity for all employees.
- Less IT Maintenance Internally. Since ERP systems provide the connectivity needed for all areas of your business, managing these systems internally can be cumbersome, and it could leave your IT staff bugged down with day-to-day routine maintenance and troubleshooting tasks. Leaving little to no-time for strategic IT infrastructure planning and governance. With cloud ERP solutions you have the ability to reduce the amount of mundane IT maintenance tasks that need to be performed. Additionally, if there is a problem with your solution, your IT team has the backing of other IT professionals who are well versed in your current ERP. Essentially, it helps small to midsize businesses to make the most out of their IT teams. And for businesses that do not have a fully developed IT department, they can operate smoothly without having to make that additional investment.
- Robust Backup & Disaster Recovery. A key benefit of having a cloud ERP solution is the ability to have an offsite backup and recovery plan either included in your cloud ERP solution or available as an add-on. Most cloud based ERP solutions are usually sold with the backup functionality already included and performed at scheduled times. In most cases, backups and restoration can also be performed with the click of a button. Compared to traditional tape backups that may not be tested regularly, cloud based ERP solutions usually come with a more robust backup and recovery solution. Additionally, when hosting your on-premise ERP solution in the cloud, you also have the option of adding on a backup and recovery solution.
The promise of cloud ERP is simple: it sets the stage for creating a more nimble business, powered for growth with the aid of innovative, flexible ERP technology solutions, that adapt to changing business needs.
Cloud ERP Solutions With CompuData
For businesses interested in taking advantage of the benefits of Cloud ERP solutions, CompuData offers various options, from cloud-based ERP solutions to virtual private hosting for your traditionally on-premise ERP solution. Contact CompuData to get started today!